New Delhi: Summer usually means tanning, sun-burnt skin, hair loss, etc. But that need not be the case all the time.
You can overcome those problems by applying some tips and tricks that ensure the heat doesn't get to you.
Dr Alia Rizvi, dermatologist at Me Clinic- Masters Of Esthetics - gives some tips to keep these concerns at bay-
Tips to prevent sunburn:
1. Watch the clock - The sun's rays are strongest between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. If you can't stay indoors during that block of time, at least stick to shady spots.
2. Wear the right clothes - When you have to be outdoors, wear sun-protective clothing, such as: broad-brimmed hat, long-sleeved shirt and pants.
3. Use sunscreen - Cover any exposed areas of skin liberally with at least one ounce of broad-spectrum sunscreen. That means sunscreen that protects against both UVA and UVB rays.
The sunscreen should have a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30. Follow these tips for applying sunscreen:
- Apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before you go outside.
- Use sunscreen even on overcast days because UV rays can penetrate clouds.
4. Take frequent showers to help relieve the pain. As soon as you get out of the bathtub or shower, gently pat yourself dry, but leave a little water on your skin. Then, apply a moisturizer to help trap the water in your skin. This can help ease the dryness.
5. Drink extra water - Sunburn draws fluid to the skin's surface and away from the rest of the body.
Drinking extra water when you are sunburned helps prevent dehydration.
(With ANI inputs)