One of our annual flagship properties, ‘Swastha Bharat Samman’, is back again to felicitate people who have made immense contribution to healthcare sector in the country. Moving a step ahead from last year’s theme of ‘Health For All’, this year the focus is geared towards ‘Affordable Healthcare’. In the run up to the award ceremony, Zee News will come up with a special one-month campaign on health issues that will address this year’s theme of Sasti Dawai, Sasta Ilaaj.
India made a leap of faith in 1991 by embracing liberalization, privatization and globalization. Many sectors recorded strong growth but the impact of a free economy hasn’t trickled down to the bottom of the pyramid, especially in the healthcare sector. In the absence of a properly functioning government network of healthcare centres, private sector is contributing 4.3% of GDP and 80% share of healthcare.
And since penetration of the insurance sector is only 2% in India, medical treatment is out of reach for many in the expensive privately run hospitals.
A FICCI survey points out that 177 billion beds are required at an investment of US$86 billion to meet a ratio of 2 beds per 1000 population by 2025 and 0.7 million doctors are needed to reach a doctor population ratio of 1:1000 by 2025.
The Swastha Bharat Samman 2012 aims at turning the spotlight on the challenge of affordable healthcare that our country faces. In the run up to the award ceremony, Zee News Limited through TV campaign will turn its attention on various facets of affordable healthcare.
- To create awareness about health issues dogging the country
- To highlight accessibility of affordable healthcare
- To show tools and means to achieve the target of affordable health for all
- To trigger debate on quality of healthcare
- To focus on different sectors in healthcare such as technology upgrade, research, mass movement against diseases that are still widespread and fatal
A Brief History
- Zee News Limited, India’s largest private news TV network, started LIC Swastha Bharat Samman in 2010
- It’s a Zee News initiative to felicitate doctors and paramedical staff who have done outstanding work in their field of healthcare
- This will be the third edition of the awards
- Theme for 2010: Healthy India, Prosperous India
- Theme for 2011: Health for All
- Theme for 2012: Affordable Healthcare