Shimla: A major fire broke out in a three- storey building in Chaupal town in the district today rendering eight families homeless, police said.
It was an old building with more than 15 rooms. The fire brigade and the police controlled the fire and stopped it from spreading it to adjoining buildings, they said.
The sounds of bursting of cylinders were also heard but their exact number could not be ascertained as the fire was still smouldering, police said.
The loss of property was yet to be estimated and the local administration has provided temporary shelter to the affected families.