There was no respite from piercing cold wave sweeping across Himachal Pradesh today, even though minimum temperatures rose by a few notches.
Himachal Pradesh News
Icicles formed in a large part of this Himachal Pradesh capital after many years with the minimum temperature remaining below sub-zero on the sixth consecutive day on Thursday. The weathermen forecast more rain and snow later this weekend.
Most parts of Himachal Pradesh reeled under biting cold conditions as the state capital Shimla and tourist destination Manali experienced the season's coldest night with temperatures dipping to minus 3.3C and minus 6.6C respectively.
Power and water supply were disrupted and traffic on roads remained affected due to the heavy snowfall.
A medium danger avalanche warning has been issued for some avalanche prone districts of Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh as north India witnessed heavy snowfall across the two states since Friday.
A medium danger avalanche warning was issued on Saturday for some avalanche prone districts of Jammu and Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh.
Popular tourist destinations Shimla, Manali and Dalhousie remained cut off throughout Saturday from the rest of Himachal Pradesh following continuous snowfall, officials said.
This was the season`s first significant snowfall that froze the "Queen of Hills", as Shimla was fondly called by the British.
The tourist resorts of Kufri and Narkanda near Shimla experienced mild snow in the past 24 hours, the weather bureau said on Monday, triggering a rush of tourists.
Hill stations of Himachal Pradesh on Sunday experienced a sunny morning on the first day of 2017, but there are chances of snow this week, a weather official said here.
Himachal Pradesh also earned the distinction of becoming the first open defecation-free state in the country.
Earthquake tremors were felt in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh in the wee hours of Tuesday morning. According to ANI, the earthquake has been recorded of 3.2 magnitude.
Shimla and its surrounding areas received slight traces of snowfall followed by showers while the adjoining tourist resorts of Kufri, Fagu and Narkanda had light snowfall, bringing cheers to tourists who had thronged the state capital on the occasion of Christmas.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi will address a rally in Dharamshala on Saturday.
The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Friday stayed all of the National Green Tribunal`s orders relating to felling of trees for four-laning of National Highway-22 linking Parwanoo with the state ca[ital.
The Himachal Pradesh government has ordered a probe after five patients who underwent cataract surgery at a hospital developed infection, Health Minister Kaul Singh said on Thursday.
The regional meteorology centre in Bhubaneswar said, the only other place to have dipped below five degrees was Phulbani which stood at 4.6 degree Celsius.
The Himachal Pradesh assembly on Tuesday witnessed unruly scenes as members of the opposition BJP demanded debate on the ongoing corruption cases against Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh.
Himachal Pradesh has achieved 100 percent Aadhar saturation on the basis of population of year 2015, making it the sixth state after Delhi, Telangana, Haryana, Punjab and Chandigarh to have achieved this milestone.
CBI on Thursday claimed before Delhi High Court that allegations against Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh in the disproportionate assets case are "very serious" as a huge amount of money is involved and the state government has shown "over anxiety" in protecting him.
The epicentre of the earthquake was in the Kullu region.
The hills of Himachal Pradesh has been experiencing long sunny days but chilly nights, a weather official said here on Saturday. There are no chances of rain in most of the prominent tourist destinations for almost a week.
Five persons were killed and seven injured when the vehicle in which they were travelling veered off the road and rolled down a mountain at Karga today.
At least five people were killed and five others were left wounded after a car fell into a lane in Lahul Spiti district in Himachal Pradesh.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh today dedicated the state's tallest (133 feet) National Monument (Tricolour) flag set up at Hamirpur, online from Holly Lodge, his private residence, to the people today.
A passenger bus fell into a gorge near Mandi district of Himachal Pradesh on Saturday leaving at least 16 persons killed.
The Delhi High Court will on Friday hear a petition filed against Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh in connection with a disproportionate assets and money laundering case.
BJP is fully geared to defeat Congress under any circumstances and who will lead the party in the next polls is of little consequence.
State Governor Acharya Dev Vrat visited the hospital in the morning to inquire about Singh's health.
Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh was admitted to the Indira Gandhi Medical College and Hospital (IGMCH) here after he suffered chest infection and ran fever, a doctor said on Monday.
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Delhi horror: Pedophile held for sexually assaulting 600 girls
- Watch - Heavy snowfall in various parts of the world!
- BJP may announce its first list of candidates for UP elections today
- Cold wave grips North India; temperature dips to 3.6 degrees C
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Boat overturns in Ganga river, leaves 23 dead
- Several dead after Turkish cargo plane crashes into Kyrgyzstan homes
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- WATCH: When former England captain Nasser Hussain took the highest cricket ball catch of all time
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- India vs England, Pune ODI: Virat Kohli hits 27th hundred, equals Sachin Tendulkar's world record in chase — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yogeshwar Dutt sets example for society, takes Re 1 as dowry ahead of January 16 wedding
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- Latest Box Office collections of 'Dangal' and 'Ok Jaanu' are out!
- Bigg Boss 10: Here's what Nitibha Kaul said about Manveer Gurjar after her eviction
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Preview, Likely XIs, TV listing, Live streaming, Date, Time, Venue
- Best Indian captain: R Ashwin picks Sourav Ganguly ahead of MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli
- Salman Khan - Katrina Kaif will clash with Ranbir Kapoor – Here’s why