The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Saturday took up the sensational gang-rape and murder case of a school girl in Shimla that has led to massive protests in the hill state.
Himachal Pradesh News
The Congress on Saturday appointed former Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde as its general secretary incharge of party affairs in Himachal Pradesh, replacing Ambika Soni.
The Himachal Pradesh government on Friday submitted its report to Governor Acharya Devvrat in connection with the Kotkhai schoolgirl rape and murder case.
The protesters also blocked the Hindustan-Tibet National Highway at Theog and some other places.
The Himachal Pradesh government transferred at least seven officers, including the special investigation team (SIT) chief, after custodial death of one of the accused in Kotkhai gang-rape and murder case on late Wednesday.
Over 28 people dead and nine others are injured after a private bus heading back from Reckong Peo (Kinnaur) to Solan rolled down into a gorge at Khanetri.
Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh had also written a letter to the prime minister in this regard.
In a shocking incident that took place in Shimla's Kotkhai, an angry mob set ablaze a police station on Wednesday afternoon.
One of the six people accused of the rape and murder case of Shimla minor girl was found murdered inside his cell in Shimla district's Kotkhai tehsil on Tuesday.
More than 1,000 people belonging to 25 panchayats gathered at Kotkhai, 54 km from the state capital, and staged a protest, demanding justice for the victim. Similar protests were also held in the state capital, which saw a large attendance of college students.
The baby was buried alive when a landslide destroyed a house in Chirgaon area of Rohru in Shimla district today while Kangra, Dharamshala and Palampur received heavy rainfall leading to flooding of roads and houses.
An official of the local Met office said there are chances of heavy rainfall at some places in the state till Wednesday.
The shrine, located on National Highway-21 linking Chandigarh with Manali, is some 200 from state capital Shimla.
The Himachal Pradesh government on Friday ordered a Centre Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the rape and murder of a minor girl after irate residents refused to listen to the administration and took to streets.
The police said the prime accused had developed familiarity with the victim as he offered her lift two times earlier.
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) on Thursday arrested a 29-year-old man for allegedly raping and killing a minor schoolgirl in Kotkhai area here, a case which has sparked state-wide outrage.
These villages have been equipped with all modern amenities, required for growth and development, he said during a regional conference of Ministers of Social welfare of Punjab, Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttrakhand, Chandigarh and Himachal Pradesh at Chandigarh.
He replaces Sanjay Kumar who has been appointed as director general of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF).
At least five people were killed and over 30 injured after a bus fell into a gorge in Mandi`s Lamba Thach area of Himachal Pradesh on Tuesday.
The NDRF, raised in 2006, has 12 battalions with a strength of over 13,000 personnel.
The joint exercise of the Indian Army with the Royal Thailand Army commenced at Bakloh in Chamba district, the official said.
Nearly 400 people were stranded for several hours today after a landslide triggered by heavy rains blocked the Manali-Leh National Highway near Patseu, around 50 km from Keylong, in Himachal Pradesh.
The injured have been shifted to a local hospital in Nerwa.
Himachal Pradesh Governor Acharya Devvrat on Wednesday led an event which drew nearly 1,000 people, including schoolchildren, who did yogic exercises amid cloudy skies.
BJP's Kusum Sadret was on Tuesday elected the Shimla Municipal Corporation Mayor and party colleague Rakesh Sharma her deputy, a first for the state's opposition party in three decades, an officer said.
In a breather to resorts in the picturesque Himachal Pradesh town of Kasauli, the Supreme Court has stayed a National Green Tribunal (NGT) order directing demolition of seven properties, which were extended illegally without requisite approvals from authorities.
The Himachal High Court had also directed the government to ensure that the House was duly constituted by June 19.
Delhi BJP spokesperson Tajinder Pal Singh Bagga lashed out at Congress for posting the tweet, which is distasteful in nature.
The Congress, which is the ruling party in Himachal Pradesh, bagged 13 seats. Independent candidates won three, while the CPI(M) managed to retain one seat.
Counting of votes for the 34 seats of the Shimla Municipal Corporation began on Saturday, election officials said here.
- Minor gives birth in school, accuses auto driver of rape
- Monsoon in India: Scores killed in floods, landslides
- Easy to stir mountain but not our army: China's threat to India on Doklam standoff
- JNU V-C wants tank on campus to remind students of Army’s sacrifices
- Watch: Ram Nath Kovind sworn in as India's 14th President
- Watch: President Pranab Mukherjee's farewell address to nation
- Operation All-Out: 111 terrorists killed so far in Kashmir by Indian Army
- Security forces kill one terrorist in J&K's Machel Sector
- Delhi: Overspeeding car kills 25-year-old at ITO
- Nithari killings: Koli, Pandher get death sentence for murder of Pinki Sarkar
- This is going to be new house of outgoing President Pranab Mukherjee
- DNA: Analysis of 'terror funding' by Hurriyat leaders
- Pune: NDA Cadet found hanging in his room
- Watch - Ram Nath Kovind's swearing-in ceremony as President
- DNA: All you need to know about the President's Bodyguard
- Former ISRO Chief UR Rao, man behind India's 1st satellite Aryabhatta, dies
- After Sonu Nigam, singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi tweets about Azaan and loudspeakers
- ICC Women's World Cup Final: England vs India - As it happened...
- DSP Ayub Pandith lynching: Main accused killed in encounter, 20 other arrested, informs IG Kashmir
- Ram Nath Kovind all set to swear-in as 14th President of India: Here's the list of guests and ceremony details
- Indian workers emigrating to 6 Gulf nations declines by 34.6%, remittances fall
- Two Jordanians die in shooting at Israeli embassy in Amman: Security source
- Mumbai: Woman biker crushed to death while avoiding a pothole, probe ordered
- Dhinchak Pooja's new song 'Baapu Dede Thoda Cash' is so bad that it's actually good! - Watch
- Sanjay Manjrekar criticises Mithali Raj and co for Women's World Cup final defeat, faces heat on Twitter
- National song Vande Mataram now mandatory in all schools, universities, offices across Tamil Nadu
- After demitting Rashtrapati Bhavan, Pranab Mukherjee to occupy heritage bungalow in Lutyens’ Delhi
- Terror funding in Kashmir: Son-in-law of Syed Ali Shah Geelani, 6 other separatist leaders arrested by NIA
- Birth certificate no longer mandatory for passport; PAN card, Aadhaar, driving license will suffice
- Taliban suicide car bomber kills at least 35 in Afghanistan's Kabul