Casey Affleck withdraws from Oscar ceremony

Actor Casey Affleck has dropped out of the upcoming Academy Awards ceremony.

Casey Affleck withdraws from Oscar ceremony

Los Angeles: Actor Casey Affleck has dropped out of the upcoming Academy Awards ceremony.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Affleck, who won the Best Actor Oscar last year for his film "Manchester By The Sea", will not present the Oscar for best actress at this year's ceremony.

Sources close to the actor said he does want to become distraction from the focus that should be on the performances of the actresses in the category given previous allegations against him for sexual harassment.

A spokesperson of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences also confirmed the news.

"We appreciate the decision to keep the focus on the show and the great work of this year," the spokesperson said in a statement.

The 42-year-old actor was accused of sexual harassment by two female co-workers while making the 2010 mockumentary "Im Still Here", which he directed.

In an interview with the Boston Globe last year, the actor had acknowledged the controversy that had dogged his awards-season run.

"I believe that any kind of mistreatment of anyone for any reason is unacceptable and abhorrent, and everyone deserves to be treated with respect in the workplace and anywhere else," Affleck had said.

Hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, the Academy Awards will be held on March 4.

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close