1-to-1 meets begin in Paris on Doha talks
New Delhi: The US seems to have manage its
way on holding the Doha trade talks among smaller groups and
on bilateral terms though several developing countries,
including India, had opposed the idea.
Negotiations on the contentious WTO issues, including
agricultural subsidy and farmers` protection, are being held
from today at Paris on bilateral basis rather than 20-30 trade
ministers or negotiators meeting in groups.
These are being held between the key WTO member countries
including the US and other OECD (Organisation of Economic
Cooperation and Development) nations, according to highly
India too has sent its senior level negotiators headed
by Additional Secretary in the Commerce Ministry D K Mittal.
However, Commerce Ministry officials sought to allay
concerns that the US negotiators are trying to encourage
selective talks on multilateral issues.
The US Trade Representative Ron Kirk had been selling
the idea of consultations among narrow groups so that
differences on the level of market opening and subsidy
reduction can be easily resolved.
During the New Delhi trade ministers meeting in
September, Kirk had insisted that momentum to the trade talks
could come only if discussions were held on within a limited
number of players since it would be a complex process to find
an agreement among 153 WTO members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- 3rd Test: India vs Sri Lanka 2015 - Preview