1004 cases registered, 1218 held for Kandhamal riot: Govt
Bhubaneswar: As many as 1004 cases were
registered and 1218 persons arrested in connection with the
communal violence in Kandhamal last year in which 40 people
were killed and 136 others injured.
This was stated in the white paper presented by the Home
department in the Assembly.
Stating that communal violence in Kandhamal erupted after
the killing of VHP leader Laxamananda Saraswati and four of
his associates on August 23, 2008, the report said riots also
took place in the districts of Baragarh, Gajapati and some
other places during a state-wide bandh on August 25, 2008.
Though the communal situation was by and large peaceful
all along the year, Kandhamal incident was the only major
violence in the state last year, it said.
The state government acted promptly to tackle the
situation and deployed central para-military force (CPMF) in
Kandhamal. "The patrolling by CPMF and Orissa police personnel
was continuing in riot prone areas of Kandhamal," it said.
However, there was delay in arrival of the CPMF in
Kandhamal, the report said.
"Due to timely intervention and strong steps taken by the
government, law and order is restored in Kandhamal," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj