1004 cases registered, 1218 held for Kandhamal riot: Govt
Bhubaneswar: As many as 1004 cases were
registered and 1218 persons arrested in connection with the
communal violence in Kandhamal last year in which 40 people
were killed and 136 others injured.
This was stated in the white paper presented by the Home
department in the Assembly.
Stating that communal violence in Kandhamal erupted after
the killing of VHP leader Laxamananda Saraswati and four of
his associates on August 23, 2008, the report said riots also
took place in the districts of Baragarh, Gajapati and some
other places during a state-wide bandh on August 25, 2008.
Though the communal situation was by and large peaceful
all along the year, Kandhamal incident was the only major
violence in the state last year, it said.
The state government acted promptly to tackle the
situation and deployed central para-military force (CPMF) in
Kandhamal. "The patrolling by CPMF and Orissa police personnel
was continuing in riot prone areas of Kandhamal," it said.
However, there was delay in arrival of the CPMF in
Kandhamal, the report said.
"Due to timely intervention and strong steps taken by the
government, law and order is restored in Kandhamal," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach