1,200-year-old royal tomb found in Peru
Lima: The 1,200-year-old tomb of a ruler of the pre-Incan Sican culture has been found in Peru`s Lambayaque region, an official said.
"It`s an individual seated on a litter, a funerary bundle, in which has been found in situ a crown, a mask and a series of objects that accompany him," Carlos Elera, the director of the Las Ventanas archaeological dig, told EFE from Lambayeque.
One of the most interesting objects found is a bottle representing the funerary bundle that it accompanies, since both are facing toward the southwest corner of the temple, which represents "a noteworthy symbolic connection", the scientist said.
Also discovered was a gilded copper crown with an attachment of jaguars - with typical pendants worn by the elite in that region, a mask with winged eyes, spearpoints and arrowheads, among other artefacts.
Both the funerary bundle, as well as the majority of the objects, are still in the process of being excavated by archaeologists, a task that Elera calculates will take them three more weeks.
This is the first tomb found in the Las Ventanas tomb area and the second time that the find of a funerary bundle in the form of a person on a litter has been made since 1992, when a similar bundle was found at the Oro tomb, which is also from the Sican culture.
The litter, in ancient Peruvian cultures and up to the 16th century, was a symbol of status for nobles who had themselves carried on them to show their power, Elera said, but they were prohibited by Spanish colonial rulers who were trying to destroy the prevailing power structure in the region.
In his capacity as director of the Sican museum and head of the archaeological project, Elera asked local authorities to erect a stone wall 2.5 km long around the tomb to prevent the La Leche river, which flows just 70 meters from the site, from flooding the dig zone as a result of the heavy rains expected next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`