121 UP candidates in 3rd phase have criminal cases
Lucknow: As many as 121 candidates contesting
in the third phase of Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections have
criminal cases pending against them, according to a monitoring
Out of the 317 candidates analysed by National Election
Watch, 121 candidates have declared criminal cases against
them, the report -- issued on Tuesday -- said.
Among these candidates, Brijesh Singh alias Arun Kumar
Singh of Pragatisheel Manav Samaj Party (contesting from
Saiyadraja seat) faces 39 criminal cases and charged with 57
serious IPC sections.
Following him are Apna Dal`s Atiq Ahmad (Allahabad West
constituency) with 44 criminal cases (26 serious IPC sections)
and Ajay Prakash Singh of Peace Party from Lambhua
constituency with 21 cases.
All major political parties has given tickets to
candidates who have criminal cases against them. Like the
previous two phases, Samajwadi Party again tops the chart with
30 such candidates, followed by BJP 25, BSP 21, Congress 16,
Peace Party and JD(U) 4 each.
Out of these 121 candidates, 61 of them face serious
criminal cases like murder, attempt to murder, kidnapping,
robbery, extortion etc.
The report also said that 122 candidates contesting in
the February 15 polls are crorepatis. The candidate with
maximum assets is state Cabinet minister Nand Gopal from
Allahabad south seat with property worth Rs 95.26 crore.
He is followed by Tanveer of Congress from Bhadohi with
assets of Rs 21.20 crore and Atiq Ahmad of Apna Dal from
Allahabad constituency with assets worth Rs 20.79 crore.
Out of 1,029 candidates contesting for the third phase
only 78 are women. The number of women candidates for BSP is
4, BJP 6, Congress 3 and SP 5.
A total of 135 candidates out of the 317 candidates
analysed by the election watch have declared that they have
never filed income tax returns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown