15 castes included in OBCs, six to VJNT in Maharashtra
Mumbai, June 12: Maharashtra cabinet on Thursday decided to
include 15 castes in Other Backward Classes (OBC) and six to
Vimukta Jati and Nomadic Tribes (VJNT) as suggested by the
state backward classes commission.
The cabinet has decided to send a proposal to a committee
headed by justice Ashok Agrawal for granting ST status to
The commission had okayed the proposal to include some
castes into the OBC, SC/ST and special BC.
The castes included in the OBC list comrprise Lajhad,
Ladshakhiya Vani, Merushimpi, Badgujar, Talwar Kanade,
Devadiya, Mitkari Vinkar, Suthar, Vadhai, Kakar, Thiya
Belcheda, Pathare Kshatriya Pachkalashi, Dhakad, Patawa,
Dorik, and Khtri.
The castes given the status of VJNT are Sagar,
Sharadakar, Kapewar, Tarunawadi, Gawalan, Chitodia Lohar and
Muslim Bhangi Mehtar and Salewar have been included as
special backward classes identified by the commission. The
commission is also trying to give the status of scheduled
castes and scheduled tribes to Kaikadi community and a
proposal has been sent to the Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Research
and Training Institute, Pune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Net Neutrality: Facebook board member's offensive tweet on 'colonialism' leaves Indians fuming
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- 'Heartbroken' Virat Kohli deletes, then re-posts his sad pic