15 castes included in OBCs, six to VJNT in Maharashtra
Mumbai, June 12: Maharashtra cabinet on Thursday decided to
include 15 castes in Other Backward Classes (OBC) and six to
Vimukta Jati and Nomadic Tribes (VJNT) as suggested by the
state backward classes commission.
The cabinet has decided to send a proposal to a committee
headed by justice Ashok Agrawal for granting ST status to
The commission had okayed the proposal to include some
castes into the OBC, SC/ST and special BC.
The castes included in the OBC list comrprise Lajhad,
Ladshakhiya Vani, Merushimpi, Badgujar, Talwar Kanade,
Devadiya, Mitkari Vinkar, Suthar, Vadhai, Kakar, Thiya
Belcheda, Pathare Kshatriya Pachkalashi, Dhakad, Patawa,
Dorik, and Khtri.
The castes given the status of VJNT are Sagar,
Sharadakar, Kapewar, Tarunawadi, Gawalan, Chitodia Lohar and
Muslim Bhangi Mehtar and Salewar have been included as
special backward classes identified by the commission. The
commission is also trying to give the status of scheduled
castes and scheduled tribes to Kaikadi community and a
proposal has been sent to the Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Research
and Training Institute, Pune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- SBI to raise up to Rs 11,000 crore via debt securities
- India A skipper Manish Pandey fined for showing dissent after dismissal
- Dahi Handi festival: SC refuses to lift restrictions on height of human pyramid, calls it 'risky'
- Tiger Shroff wants to do clean, noble characters
- Divorce rates lowest among Hindus; more prevalent in Muslims, reveals latest Census data | Know details