190 mn-yr-old bird-hipped dino fossils found in Antarctic mountains
Washington: Palaeontologists have discovered the fossil remains of fabrosaur, about 190 million years old in the Antarctic mountains.
William Hammer of Augustana College found the fossils belonging to ornithischian or bird-hipped dinosaur that he believes is related to the fabrosaur or heterodontosaur.
The remains came from a site on Mt Kirkpatrick, in the Central Trans-Antarctic Mountains, which divide east and west Antarctica.
"I don`t know if we have a head, but we have a leg and a foot. It will take us a year to get a handle on what we`ve got,” Discovery News quoted Hammer as saying.
Thomas Holtz, professor of geology at the University of Maryland, said that the new find could tell us a lot more about the evolution of dinosaurs as well as the Antarctic environment.
"This is a time when dinosaurs had just taken over. They are the rabbits of the plant-eating dinosaurs: small, common, fairly fast, and they didn`t have a lot of armour. They almost never show up in the movies or nobody makes plastic toys of them, but they are the stock from which the greatest plant eating dinosaurs evolved,” Holtz said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues