2008 champion Sharapova out of Australian Open
Melbourne: Former champion Maria Sharapova has lost in the fourth round of the Australian Open to Andrea Petkovic.
The 30th-seeded Petkovic of Germany was rarely challenged in beating the 2008 Australian Open champion 6-2, 6-3 on Sunday. Petkovic benefited from an easy third round — she only needed to play seven points before seven-time major winner Venus Williams retired on Thursday night with an injured hip muscle.
She will now take on China’s Li Na in the quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued