2008 champion Sharapova out of Australian Open
Melbourne: Former champion Maria Sharapova has lost in the fourth round of the Australian Open to Andrea Petkovic.
The 30th-seeded Petkovic of Germany was rarely challenged in beating the 2008 Australian Open champion 6-2, 6-3 on Sunday. Petkovic benefited from an easy third round — she only needed to play seven points before seven-time major winner Venus Williams retired on Thursday night with an injured hip muscle.
She will now take on China’s Li Na in the quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note