2012 schedule reveals 100m final date
London: Usain Bolt could line up in the 2012
Olympic 100 metres final on August 5, according to the London
Games timetable revealed by the organising committee on Tuesday.
The schedule give the date, time and venue for every one
of the 640 plus sessions across the 26 Olympic sports.
"There is a recognition now that the men`s 100m is a
pretty serious moment and we have planned that to be fairly
early on the evening of Sunday, August 5," London Games chief
Lord Sebastian Coe said.
"The things people remember are head-to-heads and we
could potentially have one of the best given that Tyson Gay is
going to make this a really tough run for Usain Bolt."
The Jamaican world record holder could double up his gold
haul on August 9 in the 200m final.
The 100m final day, plus August 10 (men`s 4x400m relay
final), and the August 11 last track and field day featuring
the men`s 4x100m final, are the only days where tickets hit
the 725-pound (1,160 dollars, 860-euro) high-water mark for
In the pool, American swimming great Michael Phelps could
go head to head with Australia`s Ian Thorpe in the 200m
freestyle final on July 30.
Thorpe won the 200m freestyle gold in the Athens 2004
Olympics and retired before Beijing, when Phelps won the
medal. Thorpe has announced a comeback targeting the London
The women`s singles tennis title, held by Russia`s Elena
Dementieva, will be disputed on Wimbledon Centre Court on
August 4, while the men`s title, owned by Spain`s Rafael
Nadal, will be contested the following day.
The men`s football final will be held at Wembley on
August 11. Argentina, featuring star forward Lionel Messi,
beat Nigeria in the 2008 Beijing final.
The Games kick off at 4:00pm (1500 GMT) on July 25 with a
women`s football match at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff,
two days before the official opening ceremony at the Olympic
Stadium in London.
"It sits very well with the work we have done in the
nations and regions that the very first event will take place
in Cardiff. We have been clear that the football tournament
should be UK-wide," Coe said.
The first medals of the Games will be won on July 28: in
the women`s weightlifting, men`s air pistol and women`s air
rifle competitions, plus the cycling men`s road race.
The first medals won in the Olympic Park will be in the
Aquatics Centre that evening, with the men`s 400m freestyle
and 400m individual medley, plus the women`s 400m individual
medley and 4x100m freestyle relay.
Coe, the 1500m Olympic champion in 1980 and 1984, said:
"This is the point that it suddenly becomes very real.”
"I remember this point in the build-up to Los Angeles
(1984), and realising I was going to be running seven races in
"We are now getting to the business end of the project
and we know from the number of people who have signed up for
ticket information that there is a real hunger from all parts
of the country to be there.”
"We can start to picture what might happen."
The men`s boxing finals take place on August 11 and 12 at
the ExCeL exhibition centre, with ticket prices ranging from
95 pounds to 395 pounds.
The first ever women`s Olympic boxing finals take place
on August 9.
Host Britain`s major medal hope Chris Hoy, who won three
cycling golds at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, could defend his
medals at the Olympic Park Velodrome on August 2, 6 and 7.
The equestrian eventing finals, which could see Queen
Elizabeth II`s grand-daughter Zara Phillips going for gold,
take place on July 31.
The basketball women`s medal matches at the O2 Arena --
called the North Greenwich Arena for the Games -- are on
August 11, with the men`s the following night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'