2014 World Cup to start on June 12, FIFA says
Rio de Janeiro: The 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil will start on June 12 with the final on July 13, FIFA`s secretary general Jerome Valcke said.
Valcke said the exact match and venue schedule will be announced after FIFA`s executive committee meets on October 20-21.
"We are still working on the match schedules and venues, and these will be ratified by the World Cup organising committee and the FIFA executive committee in October," Valcke said before adding that the 2013 Confederations Cup, the World Cup dress rehearsal tournament, will run from June 15 to June 30 in 2013.
Valcke was highly critical of Brazil`s preparations for the World Cup when he spoke in Moscow last month, but FIFA president Sepp Blatter said new confidence had been established between FIFA and the local organising committee.
"The Government, the minister of sport and the President of Brazil Dilma Rousseff are all confident, and we at FIFA are also confident and we have the trust that this World Cup will be a success.”
"It is a country not only of football but of happiness, but the reality is that there is still some work to be done.”
"But I am sure, with trust and confidence, Brazil and FIFA together will deliver an exceptional World Cup in 2014."
As far as the Confederations Cup was concerned, Valcke said the decision on the venues for that competition would be taken bearing in mind the state of readiness of construction work on the stadiums.
FIFA`s top brass are in Rio for Saturday`s draw for the qualifying competition for the 2014 finals, which involved a record number of 203 of FIFA`s 208 member nations.
A total of 824 matches are scheduled to played in the qualifying campaign, with some preliminary round matches having already taken place. The qualifiers will last until November 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof