22 new faces in Himachal Assembly
Shimla: The Himachal Pradesh Assembly election results declared Thursday saw 22 candidates, including five independents, making their maiden entry into the House.
Those who made it to the House for the first time on Congress ticket included two-time Lok Sabha MP Dhani Ram Shandil (Solan constituency), Ajay Mahajan (Nurpur), Mohan Lal Brakata (Rohroo), Kishori Lal (Baijnath), Ram Kumar (Doon), Vinay Kumar (Sri Renukaji) and Ravi Thakur(Lahaul and Spiti).
Sanjay Rattan (Jwalmukhi), Inder Dutt (Badsar), Bumbar Thakur (Bilaspur), Yadvendra Goma (Jaisinghpur), Aniruddh Singh (Kusumpti) also ensured an entry on Congress ticket as first-timers.
Baldev Singh Tomar (Shillai), Vinod Kumar (Nachan), Suresh Kumar(Pachhad), Vikram Jaryal (Bhatiyyat) and Hansraj (Churah) made their maiden entry into the Assembly as BJP candidates.
Five independents -- Karnesh Jung (Paonta Sahib), Balbir Singh Verma (Chopal), Pawan Kazal (Kangra), Rajinder Singh Rana (Sujanpur) and Monahar Dhiman -- also won from their respective constituencies.
Vir Bhadra Singh and Vidya Stokes of Congress won for the eighth time.
Former HPCC president Kaul Singh is the only seventh-timer in the House, while Education Minister I D Dhiman, Transport Minister Mohinder Singh, Public Works Minister Gulab Singh and Sujan Singh Pathania won for the sixth time.
Irrigation and Public health minister Ravinder Singh Ravi, AICC secretary Asha Kumari, Deputy Speaker Rikhi Ram Kaundal and former minister B B L Butail entered for the fifth time.
As many as 30 out of 64 members of outgoing house, who contest the polls, have been reelected, while 34 have been defeated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs