25% polling registered till 1 PM
Chennai: Tamil Nadu recorded about 25 per cent polling till 1 PM in Wednesday`s closely fought Assembly polls
which largely remained peaceful.
In Tamil Nadu, polling got off to a brisk start at 8
am reaching the 25 per cent mark by 1 PM as the voters turned
out braving the scorching summer heat to exercise their
Voters came out in large numbers and seen queueing up
in both urban and rural areas in Kerala where the ruling
CPI(M)-led LDF and UDF-headed by Congress are locked in a
In the union territory of Puducherry, about 40 per
cent of the voters cast their votes by 1 PM to elect 30
members to the assembly.
Official sources in Thiruvananthapuram said voting was
progressing peacefully in all the 140 segments without any
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and DMK President M
Karunanidhi and his arch-rival AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa,
whose fortunes are being decided today, crossed swords
levelling allegations against each other after casting their
Besides them, Rajnikant and Kamal Hassan were among
the celebrities who cast their votes in the morning.
Jayalalithaa alleged the state government had refused
to pay the daily allowance of security personnel on election
duty and expressed apprehension that DMK men might create
violence and cast bogus votes in the event of them going on
Hitting back, Karunanidhi referred to the death of
Vikravandi Panchayat Chairman Arjunan in an alleged attack by
some unidentified persons and said "one can make out from this
who is unleashing violence," hinting at her party`s alleged
Both Jayalalithaa and Karunanidhi exuded confidence
that their combine would get the mandate in the 234-member
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM