29 persons acquitted in 2002 post-Godhra riot case
Ahmedabad: A local court on Tuesday acquitted 29
persons accused in a 2002 riot case in Abasana village of
Detroj taluka of the district, where six people of minority
community were killed.
Judicial Magistrate Yogini Upadhyay hearing the case
acquitted all the accused for lack of evidence.
Initially there were 31 accused in the case, but during
the course of trial which continued for over seven years, two
of the accused died.
The incident had occurred following the Godhra train
burning incident in which 59 people, mostly `karsevaks` were
killed on February 27, 2002.
Six members of a family in Abasana village under the
Detroj police station in the district were killed when some
miscreants set their houses afire when the entire village was
According to villagers, a mob of over 20 persons who
were outsiders had come armed and equipped with inflammable
materials to burn down the houses of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley