close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds


3 persons died due to consumption of methyl solvent: Guj DGP

Last Updated: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 21:39

Ahmedabad: Gujarat Director General of
Police (DGP) S S Khandwawala on Saturday said that the three
persons, who died after consuming some spurious substance, had
taken methyl solvent for intoxication.

The state police head told media persons here that the
city crime branch has been asked to conduct a detailed
investigation in the case and one person has also been
arrested by the agency.
"One person Zakir alias Shabir Hussain has been
arrested and seven litre methyl solvent has been recovered
from his house," he said, adding that a group of persons had
consumed the substance for intoxication.

Three persons died yesterday and four were hospitalised
when they consumed a spurious substance, now identified as
methyl solvent, for intoxication.

Khandwawala ruled out that hooch was still being sold
in the city even after the hooch tragedy last month which
claimed over 130 lives.
"It is not hooch or country made liquor. It was a
chemical which was consumed for intoxication," he said.

When asked whether two more bodies which were recovered
today were related to this, he said only three persons died
due to consumption of this substance.

Two bodies were found yesterday at Raikhad area of the
city.

Bureau Report

First Published: Saturday, August 29, 2009 - 21:39
comments powered by Disqus