3 persons died due to consumption of methyl solvent: Guj DGP
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Director General of
Police (DGP) S S Khandwawala on Saturday said that the three
persons, who died after consuming some spurious substance, had
taken methyl solvent for intoxication.
The state police head told media persons here that the
city crime branch has been asked to conduct a detailed
investigation in the case and one person has also been
arrested by the agency.
"One person Zakir alias Shabir Hussain has been
arrested and seven litre methyl solvent has been recovered
from his house," he said, adding that a group of persons had
consumed the substance for intoxication.
Three persons died yesterday and four were hospitalised
when they consumed a spurious substance, now identified as
methyl solvent, for intoxication.
Khandwawala ruled out that hooch was still being sold
in the city even after the hooch tragedy last month which
claimed over 130 lives.
"It is not hooch or country made liquor. It was a
chemical which was consumed for intoxication," he said.
When asked whether two more bodies which were recovered
today were related to this, he said only three persons died
due to consumption of this substance.
Two bodies were found yesterday at Raikhad area of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof