30 killed, 50 missing in Uttarakhand landslide
Pithoragarh: At least 30 people were killed and 50 were missing as three mountain villages in Uttarakhand were washed away Saturday by a landslide triggered by a cloudburst, an official said.
The villages - La, Gherna and Lelu Nehar - in Munsiyari area of Pithoragarh district, about 450 km from state capital Dehradun, were located at a height of 5,000 feet.
Twenty-nine bodies have been recovered so far, state police chief Subhash Joshi said. The hilly region was lashed by a downpour from Friday evening till Saturday afternoon.
Rescue workers from the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) searched till the evening for around 50 people still missing. But the operation had to be called off due to darkness in the remote border villages, Joshi said.
The inhospitable terrain also came in the way of the rescue operation, he said.
Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal announced compensation of Rs.100,000 for the families of each of those killed in the tragedy.
The Munsiyari area borders Tibet and Nepal towards the east.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India