3G: EGoM fails to resolve major issues
New Delhi: Differences over the number of private players to be allowed to offer 3G mobile services continue within the government as an empowered ministers’ panel on Tuesday failed to reach any consensus.
The Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM), headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, met in New Delhi to finalise the notice inviting applications (NIA) from potential operators to participate in the forthcoming auctioning for 3G spectrum.
The EGoM had decided in its last meeting that four blocks of 3G spectrum would be auctioned whereas the draft NIA document projected only three blocks.
The Defence Ministry, according to sources, has already vacated 10 MHz of spectrum and five more MHz would be released by August this year, so this makes airwaves sufficient only for three private operators besides BSNL/MTNL, which have already started services on commercial basis.
“Some of the issues were discussed at the EGoM. Still some of the issues between the Defence and DoT are yet to be resolved. The Chairman (Mukherjee) took all the views. He will decide. If necessary, another consultation will take place otherwise he will decide,” Telecom Minister A. Raja told reporters after the meeting.
Asked whether the time line for auction of 3G spectrum would be pushed further, the Minister said, “As of now it has not been pushed ... there are a number of differences... but it will be resolved.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings