3G: EGoM fails to resolve major issues
New Delhi: Differences over the number of private players to be allowed to offer 3G mobile services continue within the government as an empowered ministers’ panel on Tuesday failed to reach any consensus.
The Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM), headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, met in New Delhi to finalise the notice inviting applications (NIA) from potential operators to participate in the forthcoming auctioning for 3G spectrum.
The EGoM had decided in its last meeting that four blocks of 3G spectrum would be auctioned whereas the draft NIA document projected only three blocks.
The Defence Ministry, according to sources, has already vacated 10 MHz of spectrum and five more MHz would be released by August this year, so this makes airwaves sufficient only for three private operators besides BSNL/MTNL, which have already started services on commercial basis.
“Some of the issues were discussed at the EGoM. Still some of the issues between the Defence and DoT are yet to be resolved. The Chairman (Mukherjee) took all the views. He will decide. If necessary, another consultation will take place otherwise he will decide,” Telecom Minister A. Raja told reporters after the meeting.
Asked whether the time line for auction of 3G spectrum would be pushed further, the Minister said, “As of now it has not been pushed ... there are a number of differences... but it will be resolved.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information