3G spectrum auction on schedule: Raja
New Delhi: The auction of 3G spectrum is on
track and the empowered group of ministers (eGoM) will take
a decision on the number of slots to be sold, Telecom Minister
A Raja said on Friday.
"There is no change in auction schedule," Raja told
reporters on the sidelines of a conference here.
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) is scheduled
to auction 3G spectrum starting January 14.
Asked about the number of slots to be auctioned, Raja
said, "The eGoM will decide on the number of slots."
The government, yesterday, said the 3G telephony spectrum
available with it for sale could accommodate only three
operators as one slot has already been awarded to state-owned
MTNL (that operates in Delhi and Mumbai) and BSNL (rest of
It had earlier planned to auction spectrum to four
private operators, in addition to the state-run firms.
It is believed that the decision comes in the wake of the
Ministry of Defence`s reluctance to vacate the designated
spectrum (air waves) for commercial use.
The government has fixed the reserve price of spectrum at
Rs 3,500 crore for pan-Indian 3G spectrum and Rs 1,750 crore
for Wimax (wireless Internet/broadband), which is expected to
fetch the government revenue of Rs 25,000 crore.
This could now fall short of estimates as it would have
to forgo at least Rs 5,250 crore due to cancellation of one
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey