4 sentenced to 10 yrs RI in marine drive gang rape case
Puri: A local court here today sentenced four
persons to 10 years rigorous imprisonment for raping a woman
in the Puri-Konark marine drive in 2007.
The District and Session Judge Puri, Bibhu Prasanna
Parija convicted - Gaurang Pradhan, Santosh Swain, Ramakanta
Das and Debananda Parida - for raping the woman and sentenced
them to 10 years rigorous imprisonment.
The four, all in their 30s, are residents of Ramchandi
and Konarak area of the district.
According to prosecution, the four along with another
accused dragged the woman out of bus in the marine drive while
she was travelling to Puri from the Sun Temple at Konark and
gangraped her on November 3, 2007.
The incident took place in between Ramachandi and
Garudeswar, about 25 km from here. Some condoms were also
seized from the spot by the police, the prosecution said.
The woman lodged a complaint in this connection with
the Konarak police station and four of the accused were
arrested while the fifth was at large, who later surrendered
before the court.
The trial of the fifth accused is going on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city