400 activists of pro-Kannada outfits rounded up
Bangalore: Around 400 pro-Kannada activists
have been rounded up and over 3,000 securitymen deployed in
the city in view of a bandh called to protest the unveiling of
a statue of Tamil savant Tiruvalluvar here on Sunday.
A thick security ring has been thrown around the venue,
where Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi in presence of
his Karnataka counterpart B S Yeddyurappa would unveil the
statue, which could not be done for 18 years due to stiff
resistance from some Kannada organisations.
The arrested include Vatal Nagaraj leader of Kannada
Chaluvali, a pro-Kannada outfit which along with some other
bodies have given the Bangalore bandh call demanding that the
two states first resolve other issues like the contentious
Cauvery river water sharing.
Additional Commissioner (Law and Order) M R Pujar said
state armed reserve police and City Armed Reserve personnel
would be on duty.
The unveiling ceremony comes after the Karnataka High
Court yesterday dismissed a PIL filed by pro-Kannada outfits,
seeking a direction to the government not to go ahead with the
unveiling and warned them against resorting to agitation.
A Division Bench, headed by Chief Justice P D Dinakaran,
had castigated the outfits and said the state had a free hand
to deal with it if any attempt was made to hold an agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- WATCH: PRODIGY! This 11-year-old from Odisha slum will now train at Bayern Munich
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report