400 activists of pro-Kannada outfits rounded up
Bangalore: Around 400 pro-Kannada activists
have been rounded up and over 3,000 securitymen deployed in
the city in view of a bandh called to protest the unveiling of
a statue of Tamil savant Tiruvalluvar here on Sunday.
A thick security ring has been thrown around the venue,
where Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi in presence of
his Karnataka counterpart B S Yeddyurappa would unveil the
statue, which could not be done for 18 years due to stiff
resistance from some Kannada organisations.
The arrested include Vatal Nagaraj leader of Kannada
Chaluvali, a pro-Kannada outfit which along with some other
bodies have given the Bangalore bandh call demanding that the
two states first resolve other issues like the contentious
Cauvery river water sharing.
Additional Commissioner (Law and Order) M R Pujar said
state armed reserve police and City Armed Reserve personnel
would be on duty.
The unveiling ceremony comes after the Karnataka High
Court yesterday dismissed a PIL filed by pro-Kannada outfits,
seeking a direction to the government not to go ahead with the
unveiling and warned them against resorting to agitation.
A Division Bench, headed by Chief Justice P D Dinakaran,
had castigated the outfits and said the state had a free hand
to deal with it if any attempt was made to hold an agitation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery