47 women candidates in fray for second phase Assam polls
Guwahati: A higher number of women candidates are in the fray for the second phase of Assam polls in 64 assembly seats with 47 candidates in the electoral race.
Thirty-eight women had contested from 62 assembly constituencies on April 4.
In the second phase of polls slated for April 11, six sitting MLAs, including state Agriculture Minister Pramila Rani Brahma, have been renominated by their respective parties.
The ruling Congress and the All India Trinamool Congress (AITMC) have the highest number of ten contestants each while the ruling party`s coalition partner Bodoland Peoples` Front (BPF) has four contestants, including two sitting MLAs, in the fray.
Regional party AGP has four candidates while the BJP, All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF), Janata Dal (United) and the NCP have two candidates each. The SUCI(C) with three candidates and the All India Minority Front (AIMF) with a lone candidate along with eight independents are also in the fray.
The sitting MLAs in the fray are Minister Pramila Rani Brahma from Kokrajhar (East) ST constituency and Kamali Basumatary, both from BPF, Congress`s Dr Malaya Barman from Patacharkuchi, Uttara Kalita from Kamalpur and Junjunali Baruah from Marigaon and AGP`s Alaka Sarma from Nalbari.
Among the 47 candidates in the fray, 36 belong to the general category, three to the Scheduled Castes and eight to the Scheduled Tribes.
In the first phase, among the 38 candidates in the fray, 26 belonged to General category, four to the Scheduled castes and eight to the Scheduled Tribe.
Bilasipara (East) in Dhubri district and Nalbari have three candidates each while Kokrajhar (East), Bongaigaon, Palasbari, Kamalpur, Gauhati (West), Panery, Samaguri and Lumding have two candidates each in the fray.
There are four candidates in the age group of 60s with the oldest being 62-years old Shefali Dey of Congress and Uma Bhowmik of TMC, both contesting from Lumding while the youngest was 29-year old Anju Monowara Begum of BPF from Abhayapuri (North).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof