52 percent polling in Jharkhand polls
Ranchi: About 52 percent polling was recorded in 26 constituencies in the first of the five-phase Assembly elections in Jharkhand amid air surveillance and tight security on Wednesday, Election Commission officials said.
Barring a few skirmishes, polling was by and large peaceful. As many as 6,532,234 voters exercised their franchise in 8,176 booths to decide the electoral fortunes of 470 candidates, including 34 women, they said.
The polling began at 7 am and ended at 3 pm. The opening and closing time for the polling has been advanced in view of Naxal threats and election boycott announced by the left wing extremists in the constituencies.
Prominent among the 470 candidates were former deputy chief minister Stephen Marandi and former assembly speaker Alamgir Alam (both Congress), Suraj Mondal and Hemlal Murmu (both JMM).
The high-pitch campaigning for the first phase saw the multi-crore money laundering case allegedly involving former chief minister Madhu Koda and his associates raised by different parties, with Congress and BJP blaming each other for "nurturing" Koda.
The second phase polling will be held on December 2, the third phase on 8th, fourth on 12th and the fifth on 18th of the month. The results will be announced on December 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!