6.4 magnitude aftershock shakes Tokyo again
Shizuoka: The magnitude of an earthquake which jolted Japan`s Shizuoka prefecture and its vicinity Tuesday evening was upgraded to 6.4 from 6.0 magnitude, Xinhua cited Japan Meteorological Agency as stating.
Still reeling under the aftereffects of a colossal 9.0 magnitude quake that shook the country on March 11, Japan witnessed yet another strong quake late on Tuesday.
The buildings in Japan`s capital were shuddering again, four days after a massive tremor sparked the devastating tsunami that ravaged the country`s northeast coast.
No tsunami warning was issued and no damage to the nuclear power plants was reported, said Kyodo news agency said.
Honshu, the largest island of Japan, is called the Mainland. It occupies 60 percent of the total area of Japan. The area of Honshu is divided into five regions and contains 34 prefectures, including the metropolitan Tokyo.
Tuesday`s quake in Shizuoka came at a time when Japan is making all efforts to handle the devastation, particularly its impact on country`s nuclear reactors in Fukushima nuclear plant, caused by the catastrophic magnitude-9.0 quake and ensuing tsunami in the country`s northeast region last Friday.
More than 10,000 people are feared to have been killed in last week`s quake and tsunami.
According to official figures, Friday`s quake and ensuing tsunami have left 6,400 people dead or missing, and the numbers are expected to rise well above 15,000 people.
The National Police Agency Tuesday said that 2,722 people were confirmed dead in 12 prefectures in Japan, while 3,742 remained missing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?