7 Indian Americans among Intel`s future 40
Washington: Seven Indian Americans figure among the 40 finalists for the Intel Science Talent Search 2012, recognised as America`s "most promising high school seniors with the greatest potential to solve pressing challenges in the world".
Finalists will gather in Washington, DC in March to compete for $630,000 in awards with the top winner receiving $100,000 from the Intel Foundation.
Two of the Indian-American finalists, Saurabh Sharan and Sayoni Saha are from California, two others Siddhartha Gautama Jena and Nithin Reddy Tumma are from Michigan and three more are Neel S Patel from Florida, Anirudh Prabhu from Indiana and Neil Kamlesh from New York.
"The US needs these talented innovators to go as far and as fast as they can, solving the world`s most critical challenges, imagining - and creating - a new and better future for us all," said Wendy Hawkins, executive director of the Intel Foundation.
"Math and science are the language and tools of this innovation - that`s why Intel is so proud to invest in these students, and to advance math and science education for all students," she said.
"Tackling real-world challenges from cancer to Internet security to alternative energy solutions, this year`s finalists are a true inspiration," said Society President Elizabeth Marincola.
The independent research projects of this year`s finalists include topics such as photodynamic cancer therapy; breast cancer research; innovative water conservation solutions; fibre optic research related to Internet data security; alternative energy solutions; and landmine detection technology.
Young innovators chosen to participate in the Science Talent Search over the past 70 years have gone on to receive some of the world`s most prestigious honours, including seven Nobel Prizes, two Fields Medals, three National Medals of Science, 11 MacArthur Foundation Fellowships and even an Academy Award for Best Actress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video