7407 Man U fans part with their cash to pay Rooney`s weekly pay
London: At least 7,407 Manchester United fans is the number required through the turnstiles to pay just a week of striker Wayne Rooney`s new 10 million pound annual wage, according to a tabloid.
The number is a staggering 10 per cent of the club`s average home gate.
The surprising figure has shocked Mike Turton, a founder member of FC United, who claims that the Premier League is now all about money.
"Looking at the Rooney saga, I`m glad I`m out of it, not paying these millionaires and not paying Glazer`s interest. I followed United for 30 years and I was a season-ticket holder, but the Premier League is less interesting for me now," "There is a lack of soul and quite a few mercenaries just passing through. Some Premier League club supporters want to be winning things at all costs and they don`t see the bigger picture," he added.
Gordon Taylor, Professional Footballers` Association Chief Executive, also supported Turton`s claims and urged his members and the game to show a social responsibility.
"Rather than just pay fortunes, with the balance of payments going abroad, the game has a duty to give the next generation a chance and I`d like to see managers given more time to bring young players through," Taylor said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli