78.3% voting in 3rd phase of WB Assembly polls
Kolkata: A total 78.3 per cent votes were cast during peaceful polling on Wednesday in the crucial third phase
of the West Bengal Assembly elections in 75 Assembly
constituencies in three districts.
The fate of Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee,
Finance Minister Asim Dasgupta, Housing Minister Goutam Deb,
Transport Minister Ranjit Kundu and nine other ministers was
sealed in EVMs.
Leader of the Opposition Partha Chatterjee, Kolkata
Mayor Sovan Chatterjee, former FICCI Secretary General Amit
Mitra and cinestar Debashree Roy were the other prominent
candidates who contested in this phase.
With three phases, election was completed in 179 of
the 294 Assembly seats.
The chief minister cast his vote at the Patha Bhavan
School in Ballygunge, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee
at the Mitra Institution in Bhowanipore and Union Finance
minister Pranab Mukherjee at the Kamala Girl`s High School in
Former Lok Sabha speaker Somnath Chatterjee exercised
his franchise at the Tirthabati Institution in south Kolkata,
CPI(M) Politburo member Brinda Karat at Taratola and former
India captain Sourav Ganguly at Behala.
The polling percentage might rise as reports from
remote areas of South and North 24 Parganas districts were
still awaited, the state`s chief electoral officer Sunil Gupta
told reporters here.
He said polling was 82.6 per cent in South 24 Parganas
district, 80 per cent in North 24 Parganas districts,
while Kolkata (south) registered 63.5 per cent and Kolkata
(north) 61.6 per cent.
Except for some stray incidents, polling was, by and
large peaceful, he said.
The CEO said that three presiding officers and five
polling officers were replaced in north Kolkata for flouting
Additional CEO N K Sahana said that 16 presiding
officers were replaced following complaints from Bagda,
Bongaon, Gaighata and Bidhannagar in North 24-Parganas
Malfunctioning of EVMs was reported from a few places
which were promptly replaced, the CEO said.
Gupta said that police recovered four live crude bombs
from a mango orchard at Barasat in North 24 Parganas district.
The Trinamool Congress chief alleged that there were
attempts at rigging by the CPI-M in some booths in the
Jadavpur Assembly constituency of the chief minister and said
the Election Commission had been informed.
She alleged that central para-military forces were
rendered idle and the police asked to do their duty, slowing
the polling process `at the instruction of the chief
Reports from North 24 Parganas, quoting the police,
said that a CPI(M) office at Bijpur under North 24-Parganas
district was ransacked by miscreants and a CPI(M) polling
agent injured outside a booth there. Altogether 50 arrests
One person was arrested from Panihati for false
voting and another from Jagaddal for causing disturbance,
the reports said.
Altogether 610 companies of central forces were
deployed in the three districts where polling was held.
The percentage of the first phase of polling in 54
seats on April 18 was 83.75 and in the second on April 23 in
56 seats 83 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues