91 candidates in 4th phase Bihar polls have criminal history
Patna: Altogether 91 of the 237 candidates
in the fray in 42 Assembly seats in Bihar going to polls in
the fourth phase on November one have criminal backgrounds and
all major parties had given tickets to those who had criminal
cases pending against them.
The 91 candidates, who comprise 38 per cent of the
candidates in the fourth phase, have declared in their
nominations that criminal charges were pending against them,
Convenor of Bihar branch of Association for Democratic Reforms
(ADR) and National Election Watch (NEW), Anjesh Kumar said.
Forty nine candidates had declared that criminal charges
like murder and attempt to murder were pending against them,
RJD topped the list of parties providing nomination to 62
per cent of the candidates with criminal backgrounds, followed
by BJP (53 per cent), Congress (41 per cent), LJP (40 per
cent), JD(U) (38 per cent) and BSP (37 per cent), Kumar said.
A total of 47 out of 73 candidates contesting on BJP
tickets have criminal backgrounds, while 54 of the 102
candidates nominated by its ally JD(U) have criminal
antecedents in the first four phases of the poll, he said.
The number of candidates with assets of over Rs one crore
have increased to 147 in the first four phases of polls this
time from 36 in 2005 Assembly elections, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020