A missed Olympic medal remains in memory for Lee-Hesh
Chennai: The doubles team of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi has given Indian tennis many memorable moments but one thing that Paes still regrets is their failure to win an Olympic medal for the country.
Paes and Bhupathi competed in Atlanta (1996), Sydney (2000), Athens (2004) and Beijing (2008) Olympics but never moved beyond the semifinals.
Paes though became the first tennis player from India to win a medal in Olympics when he bronze in Atlanta.
They parted ways in 2006 after a spat during the Doha Asian Games.
Today Paes and Bhupathi recorded their 24th consecutive Davis Cup doubles win.
“We have won many matches together in the past. We have grown up by playing together and respect each other. We both take the responsibility for whatever has happened in between.”
“But we have grown over the years to be world number one. I have lot of respect for Mahesh. Whenever we are together on the court we create magic. Only dissent is that we missed an Olympic medal by a whisker,” Paes said.
Bhupathi said he and Paes make a formidable team and could have got more success at international stage together but ruled out the re-union.
“We would have won 50 Grand Slams, if we had continued but we are happy with the present pairing with someone and playing well,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video