A missed Olympic medal remains in memory for Lee-Hesh
Chennai: The doubles team of Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhupathi has given Indian tennis many memorable moments but one thing that Paes still regrets is their failure to win an Olympic medal for the country.
Paes and Bhupathi competed in Atlanta (1996), Sydney (2000), Athens (2004) and Beijing (2008) Olympics but never moved beyond the semifinals.
Paes though became the first tennis player from India to win a medal in Olympics when he bronze in Atlanta.
They parted ways in 2006 after a spat during the Doha Asian Games.
Today Paes and Bhupathi recorded their 24th consecutive Davis Cup doubles win.
“We have won many matches together in the past. We have grown up by playing together and respect each other. We both take the responsibility for whatever has happened in between.”
“But we have grown over the years to be world number one. I have lot of respect for Mahesh. Whenever we are together on the court we create magic. Only dissent is that we missed an Olympic medal by a whisker,” Paes said.
Bhupathi said he and Paes make a formidable team and could have got more success at international stage together but ruled out the re-union.
“We would have won 50 Grand Slams, if we had continued but we are happy with the present pairing with someone and playing well,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow