A tearful Ricky Hatton meets Muhammad Ali
Manchester: Ricky Hatton welcomed Muhammad Ali to his gym Wednesday and said that not even a meeting with The Greatest could persuade him to get back in the ring again.
Hatton, the former world light welterweight champion, hasn’t fought since a second-round knockout loss to Manny Pacquiao in May and is now a promoter.
The 30-year-old Briton, known for his aggressive, body-punching style, said he was reduced to tears when meeting 67-year-old Ali, who has Parkinson’s disease and makes rare public appearances.
“He’s not just one of the greatest boxers of all time, he’s one of the greatest men of all time. He’s made the entertainment side of boxing what it is today,” Hatton said.
“Bearing in mind how poorly he is, for him still to come to the gym, raise his hands to the fans and have a picture, that’s why he’s the greatest.”
Joined by wife Lonnie, Ali is touring Britain and Ireland. He is making appearances at a series of dinners to raise money for his charities, including the Muhammad Ali Center in his hometown of Louisville, Ky.
Hatton has only two losses in a 47-fight career. He said he is no closer to deciding whether to fight again.
“I’ve had a lot of fights and sometimes, when you’ve been in this game as long as I have, running in the morning, training in the afternoon, dieting, I’ve reached the stage that I’ve had enough now, I want a bit of a rest,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves