Aamir is not saying the truth: Chetan Bhagat
New Delhi: The controversy surrounding `3
Idiots` has taken a new turn with Chetan Bhagat, the author of
the book from which the movie has been adapted, accusing the
filmmakers and actor Aamir Khan of not giving him due credit.
Bhagat said that 70 per cent of the film `3 Idiots` is
based on his novel `Five Point Someone`, contradicting Aamir`s
claim that he was trying to take away the credit from the
film`s scriptwriter, Abhijat Joshi.
"From the very beginning the film has been promoted on
the lines that it is based on `Five Point Someone` but when I
saw the film, I found out that my name was nowhere to be seen
in the credit line," Chetan Bhagat said to a news agency.
Aamir, who plays the lead in the Rajkumar Hirani
directed film, had said, "Abhijat has written the script and
Raju Hirani worked on it. Raju and Abhijat took the idea from
Chetan`s book. The starting point is `Five Point Someone`, but
after that the script has been completely changed."
But Bhagat has a different take on it, saying that the
credit for the story has been given to Abhijat and Hirani
while he has been left out entirely.
"For the past two years I have trusted Hirani, Vidhu
Vinod Chopra and Aamir blindly and this is what I get in
return. Now I am being threatened with legal action but I am
ready for it," Bhagat said.
Aamir said he had advised Chopra and Hirani to file a
case against Bhagat as he has defamed them with "false"
Reacting to this, Bhagat said, "The film`s setting,
characters, dialogues, theme and all the other characteristics
have been taken from my book. There are some changes but they
were necessary for the book`s adaptation into the film."
When asked whether he had tried to talk to Hirani and
Chopra on the issue, Bhagat said, "I tried my best but they
are not ready to talk."
Bhagat`s name appears at the film`s end credits. The
film, produced by Vidhu Vinod Chopra and directed by Hirani
has already created box office history by raking in more than
Rs 170 crore within days of its release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...