About Hitler`s remains
London: The erstwhile USSR`s intelligence agency, the KGB, destroyed all traces of German dictator Adolf Hitler`s corpse and threw the ashes in a river, the Federal
Security Service has claimed.
According to Lieutenant-General Vasily Khristoforov,
chief archivist of FSB, Hilter`s remains had been incinerated
in 1970 and the ashes thrown into a river in East Germany out
of concern that his grave could become a Nazi shrine.
"It was not worth leaving any grounds for the rise of
a cult of worship... there are people who profess the fascist
ideology, regrettably even in Russia," British newspaper `The
Times` quoted him as saying.
He said that agents under orders from the head of the
KGB, Yuri Andropov, had dug up a grave containing Hitler, his
wife Eva Braun and the family of his henchman Joseph Goebbels.
The officers had removed the remains from a burial
ground in a Soviet base at Magdeburg, Andropov having written
to Soviet party chiefs recommending the bodies be destroyed
after it was decided to pass the base to East Germany.
In April 1970, Andropov compiled a report declaring
"the remains were burnt on a vacant area outside Schönebeck,
11 kilometres from Magdeburg, ground into ashes, gathered and
thrown into the Biederitz river" -- either the Ehle river near
Biederitz suburb or the Biederitzer See.
Hitler`s remains arrived in Magdeburg in early 1946
after a peripatetic eight months. The bodies of Hitler and
Braun had been crudely cremated on April 30, 1945, at the site
of his bunker in Berlin.
He had bitten a cyanide pellet then shot himself. When
Red Army reached the bunker they found the two charred corpses
alongside the bodies of Goebbels and his wife.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani