AC Milan beats Fiorentina 1-0 in Serie A
Milan: Zlatan Ibrahimovic produced a
spectacular strike for AC Milan to beat Fiorentina 1-0 in the
With his back to goal, the Swede flicked up the ball and
executed an overhead kick past Fiorentina goalkeeper Artur
Boruc into the bottom corner yesterday.
It came a week after his penalty against his former team
Inter Milan decided the Milan derby.
"It was a great bit of skill, but we`re used to him doing
this," Milan coach Massimo Allegri said. "He`s got great
technique as well as a physical presence and is becoming a
vital player for us."
Just before the final whistle Fiorentina defender Per
Kroldrup was sent off for taking his protests with the referee
"Today was difficult," Milan goalkeeper Christian Abbiati
said. "After the derby win the team`s enthusiasm was high.”
"Fiorentina made it difficult for us and should be higher
in the table. This was an important three points for us."
Also, AS Roma beat Udinese 2-0 at home with goals from
Jeremy Menez and Marco Borriello either side of halftime, but
finished the match with 10 men after Nicolas Burdisso was sent
off in the 81st.
Milan started in confident form following its win in the
Milan derby and Daniele Bonera forced Boruc into a save in the
Gaetano D`Agostino curled in a free kick that Abbiati had
to palm off the line. He kept Fiorentina out again when he
pushed Kroldrup`s header over the bar.
Ibrahimovic scored in first-half injury time.
After the break Milan`s central defensive duo Alessandro
Nesta and Thiago Silva went close.
Abbiati again stopped Fiorentina from drawing level in
the 83rd. Alberto Gilardino escaped from Nesta and set Adem
Ljajic up for a low shot, but the goalkeeper reacted quickly.
At Rome`s Olympic Stadium, Udinese went close to opening
the scoring six minutes in. A corner fell to Maurizio Domizzi
and he clipped the crossbar from a tight angle.
Roma captain Francesco Totti hit the bar from a free kick
before Udinese strikers Antonio Di Natale and Antonio Floro
Flores forced Roma goalkeeper Julio Sergio into sharp saves.
Menez opened the scoring with a solo effort in the 24th.
He cut in off the left wing, beat two defenders and curled a
shot past Udinese `keeper Samir Handanovic.
"Once Menez scored we were in control of the game," Roma
coach Claudio Ranieri said. "Menez is a rough diamond that we
are polishing and his quality can improve the way we play."
Udinese hit the bar for a second time with a shot from Di
Natale and only a desperate save from Handanovic stopped Totti
from doubling Roma`s lead.
Borriello used his strength to score Roma`s second. He
turned and held off Domizzi to squeeze a shot past Handanovic.
Udinese came straight back and Sergio was forced into a
brave save with his face to stop Floro Flores.
Roma appeared in control, but Burdisso`s sending off gave
Udinese hope of staging a late comeback. The Argentine became
involved in a scuffle with Domizzi and was sent off after
shoving him over.
Alex Sanchez became the third Udinese player to hit the
frame of the goal when he fired in a long-range shot, and
German Denis had a goal ruled out for offside.
"We have done well to overcome a very good Udinese team,"
Ranieri said. "We needed a bit of luck as Udinese was playing
much better than we were."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video