AC Milan beats Inter Milan 1-0 in Serie A derby
Milan: Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored with an
early penalty to give AC Milan a 1-0 win against former team
Inter Milan and end a run of three losses in the Serie A
The Sweden forward converted his spot kick past
goalkeeper Luca Castelazzi in the fifth minute yesterday at
the San Siro after he was brought down by Marco Materazzi. It
was Ibrahimovic`s first Milan derby since leaving Inter for
Barcelona in 2009.
Milan leads the standings with 26 points, one more than
Lazio. Napoli is third with 21, and Juventus and Inter have 20
"It wasn`t an easy goal as it was in front of the Inter
fans at their home game, but I did what I had to do and tried
to concentrate," Ibrahimovic said. "I think it gave the team
confidence and we became more calm and it helped us win.”
"I am always confident in the teams I play for and it is
fair that we are favorite. But there is also Inter, Juventus
and AS Roma is playing well and improving, but with patience
we can finish top."
Milan fullback Ignazio Abate was sent off in the 60th
minute after collecting a second yellow card.
Also Sunday, Lazio beat Napoli 2-0 through goals from
Mauro Zarate and Sergio Floccari and Bologna downed Brescia
1-0 and Genoa won 1-0 at Cagliari.
Milan midfielder Clarence Seedorf headed over Abate`s
cross from close range in the second minute in a bright start
for the Rossoneri.
Milan continued to dominate after the goal. Ibrahimovic
set up Mathieu Flamini, but Inter defender Javier Zanetti got
back in time to stop him shooting.
Eventually, Inter coach Rafael Benitez changed his system
and brought on Coutinho to help Samuel Eto`o and Diego Milito
in attack. It nearly had an immediate impact as the young
Brazilian shot wide after combining with Eto`o and Wesley
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men