Accused allege frame up in 1996 Lajpat Nagar blast case
New Delhi: The accused in the 1996 Lajpat
Nagar bomb blast case on Monday claimed before a Delhi court that
they have been framed at the instance of police officers who
acted with an aim to enhance their career.
The accused, who were recording their responses to the
evidence produced against them told District and Sessions
Judge S P Garg that they were unaware of the "incriminating
material" against them.
"The witnesses have deposed falsely and implicated me
in the present case at the instance of the police officers in
order to solve a blind case and branded me as a terrorist for
enhancing their career prospects," Mohammad Ali Bhatt, one of
the suspected terrorists, said.
District and Sessions Judge G P Mittal had recently
allowed the plea of the accused that the matter be transfered
to a judge who has heard the matter earlier.
After recording the statement of the accused under
section 313 (response of under-trials on evidence against
them) of CrPC, the court fixed the matter for hearing final
arguments on September 23.
Ten people, including a woman, all from Jammu and
Kashmir, are facing trial for allegedly carrying out the blast
at crowded Central Market in Lajpat Nagar in south Delhi on
the evening of May 21, 1996.
Thirteen people were killed in the blast which also
left 39 persons injured and 14 buildings destroyed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory