Acid attack woman struggling for funds to meet treatment cost
Karaikal: Over a month after she was subjected to a brutal acid attack by a man for turning down his proposal to marry him, a 23-year old woman is strugging for funds to meet her treatment expenses.
Vinothini, a software engineer hailing from here, suffered serious burns on her face that led to her not just losing vision but the whole eyes and is required to undergo plastic surgeries involving huge cost.
The woman, employed in a firm in Chennai, suffered the brutal attack on November 14 when Suresh (24), who had developed one-sided love, threw acid on her while she was proceeding to bus stand here along with her father.
She suffered burns all over her face, hands and upper part of the body and her father on his hands. Both of them were shifted to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital in Chennai after first-aid.
The burns on her face were so severe that she totally lost her vision. Her eyes - corneas and eyelids - were completely burnt and removed. Eyes have now been been closed with muscle tissues taken from legs.
Vinothini is in need of funds for further treatment. Her father, an ordinary security guard at a school in Karaikal, is struggling to meet the medical expenses.
Surgeons have opined that she would require prolonged hospitalisation, treatment and plastic surgery for several months.
Her relatives here said at times she was screaming as to why people were taking steps to save her. She is now being fed only with liquid food.
At the initiative of Karaikal South MLA AMH Nazeem, Rs 25,000 has been contributed from DMK`s party funds for the treatment.
Nazeem and human rights organisations have appealed to Chief Minister N Rangasamy to bear the medical expenses and also announce compensation to the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what