Acid attack woman struggling for funds to meet treatment cost
Karaikal: Over a month after she was subjected to a brutal acid attack by a man for turning down his proposal to marry him, a 23-year old woman is strugging for funds to meet her treatment expenses.
Vinothini, a software engineer hailing from here, suffered serious burns on her face that led to her not just losing vision but the whole eyes and is required to undergo plastic surgeries involving huge cost.
The woman, employed in a firm in Chennai, suffered the brutal attack on November 14 when Suresh (24), who had developed one-sided love, threw acid on her while she was proceeding to bus stand here along with her father.
She suffered burns all over her face, hands and upper part of the body and her father on his hands. Both of them were shifted to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital in Chennai after first-aid.
The burns on her face were so severe that she totally lost her vision. Her eyes - corneas and eyelids - were completely burnt and removed. Eyes have now been been closed with muscle tissues taken from legs.
Vinothini is in need of funds for further treatment. Her father, an ordinary security guard at a school in Karaikal, is struggling to meet the medical expenses.
Surgeons have opined that she would require prolonged hospitalisation, treatment and plastic surgery for several months.
Her relatives here said at times she was screaming as to why people were taking steps to save her. She is now being fed only with liquid food.
At the initiative of Karaikal South MLA AMH Nazeem, Rs 25,000 has been contributed from DMK`s party funds for the treatment.
Nazeem and human rights organisations have appealed to Chief Minister N Rangasamy to bear the medical expenses and also announce compensation to the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened