Acid attack woman struggling for funds to meet treatment cost
Karaikal: Over a month after she was subjected to a brutal acid attack by a man for turning down his proposal to marry him, a 23-year old woman is struggling for funds to meet her treatment expenses.
Vinothini, a software engineer hailing from here, suffered serious burns on her face that led to her not just losing vision but the whole eyes and is required to undergo plastic surgeries involving huge cost.
The woman, employed in a firm in Chennai, suffered the brutal attack on November 14 when Suresh (24), who had developed one-sided love, threw acid on her while she was proceeding to bus stand here along with her father.
She suffered burns all over her face, hands and upper part of the body and her father on his hands. Both of them were shifted to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital in Chennai after first-aid.
The burns on her face were so severe that she totally lost her vision. Her eyes - corneas and eyelids - were compeletly burnt and removed. Eyes have now been been closed with muscle tissues taken from legs.
Vinothini is in need of funds for further treatment. Her father, an ordinary security guard at a school in Karaikal, is struggling to meet the medical expenses.
Surgeons have opined that she would require prolonged hospitalisation, treatment and plastic surgery for several months.
Her relatives here said at times she was screaming as to why people were taking steps to save her. She is now being fed only with liquid food.
At the initiative of Karaikal South MLA AMH Nazeem, Rs 25,000 has been contributed from DMK`s party funds for the treatment.
Nazeem and human rights organisations have appealed to Chief Minister N Rangasamy to bear the medical expenses and also announce compensation to the family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!