Aditya ends year on high; wins VIP Matrix Snooker tourney
Chennai: Indoor Asian Games gold medalist Aditya Mehta routed giant-killer Saurav Kothari 7-3 in the final to win the VIP Matrix All-India Invitational Snooker tournament, finishing the year on a high.
In the lop-sided final, Aditya proved too hot to handle for India`s number two Kothari, as the Mumbaikar was aggressive right from the word go and compiled a century break of 103 to clinch the first frame in no time.
Mehta, the lone Indian on the professional circuit, continued with his relentless assault and pocketed the next four frames quickly with a clearance of 72, 65, 53 and 74 respectively.
The first session was a virtual washout as Mehta secured a 5-0 lead over Kothari with his consistent play and smart cushion-work, reducing the Kolkata-boy to a mere spectator.
The start of second session was no better for Kothari, who had stunned Pankaj Advani in the semi-finals, as Mehta combined his aggression and tactical play beautifully to post a break of 97, consolidating the lead 6-0.
As the summit clash seemed heading for an early closure, Kothari suddenly found form and took the seventh frame with a run of 48, much to the surprise of Mehta.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Samsung Electronics says Galaxy Note 7 demand beats supply
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!