`Adolf Hitler begged for discount on car`
Berlin: An imprisoned and impoverished Adolf Hitler wrote to a car dealer begging for a discount on a Mercedes he had his eye on, according to a letter being auctioned in Germany next month.
The letter, excerpts from which were published in the Bild mass circulation daily today, dates from September 1924, when Hitler was languishing in Landsberg prison after the abortive Munich beer hall putsch.
He said he needed the dealer to knock "a couple of thousand marks" off the price of the grey 11/40 Benz (later Mercedes-Benz) model he was interested in as he was waiting for the proceeds from his book "Mein Kampf".
"The difficulty for me is that ... I cannot expect big proceeds from my works before the middle of December so I am forced to find an advance or a loan from somewhere," wrote Hitler.
"Of course, a few thousand marks would play a very big role in this."
The Behringer auction house in Fuerth, southern Germany, said on its website that it was selling the letter, along with more than 500 "paper objects" from Hitler`s spell in prison, on July 2-3.
Other items in the lot include a list of visitors Hitler received and the prison records showing his arrival. The minimum bid has been set at 25,000 euros (USD 31,000) for the whole lot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what