`Adolf Hitler begged for discount on car`
Berlin: An imprisoned and impoverished Adolf Hitler wrote to a car dealer begging for a discount on a Mercedes he had his eye on, according to a letter being auctioned in Germany next month.
The letter, excerpts from which were published in the Bild mass circulation daily today, dates from September 1924, when Hitler was languishing in Landsberg prison after the abortive Munich beer hall putsch.
He said he needed the dealer to knock "a couple of thousand marks" off the price of the grey 11/40 Benz (later Mercedes-Benz) model he was interested in as he was waiting for the proceeds from his book "Mein Kampf".
"The difficulty for me is that ... I cannot expect big proceeds from my works before the middle of December so I am forced to find an advance or a loan from somewhere," wrote Hitler.
"Of course, a few thousand marks would play a very big role in this."
The Behringer auction house in Fuerth, southern Germany, said on its website that it was selling the letter, along with more than 500 "paper objects" from Hitler`s spell in prison, on July 2-3.
Other items in the lot include a list of visitors Hitler received and the prison records showing his arrival. The minimum bid has been set at 25,000 euros (USD 31,000) for the whole lot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa