Advertisements driving kids towards junk food
New Delhi: Advertisements luring kids to
munch on junk food are one of the biggest reasons behind
obesity among children, who also consider it a fashion
statement to be at "happening" food joints, a survey has
According to the survey conducted by Diabetes
Foundation of India, 68 per cent children in the age category
of 14-17 said they go for junk food because of appealing
advertisement campaigns, 32 per cent said fast food joints
were a happening place and 25 per cent of them said it was
"Childhood obesity in India can be attributed towards
mushrooming of Mcdonalisation and Pizza Hutting. McDonald`s,
has grown into 160 outlet chains in the last 13 years of its
presence in the country while Pizza Hut has spread to 139
locations since 1996 and Domino`s pizza chain today boasts of
220 outlets since its beginning in the year 1995," Dr Anoop
Misra Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Diseases, Fortis
Hospital said here today.
McDonald`s serves 13,000 customers in India every
minute, he said giving statistics of the giant American fast
food chain`s reach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!