After 20 years, India to import rice
New Delhi: India, a traditional rice
exporter, will import the grain for the first time in 20 years
to meet a projected shortfall of the crop hit by drought and
floods, government said on Wednesday.
"We started rice season that is from October 2009 with
almost six million tonnes of surplus... Still there is a
projection that there is some shortfall of Kharif crops. So to
make it up, we have to make some imports," Finance Minister
Pranab Mukherjee said just two days ahead of the ministerial
meeting to review foodgrain stocks and prices.
Mukherjee, who heads the Empowered Group of Ministers on
foodgrains, however, did not reveal the quantum and the
timing of imports.
"Exactly what quantum and at what time, I can`t say," he
said on the sidelines of a Union Bank of India function here.
The government estimates that there would be a shortfall
of over 15 million tonnes in the 2009-10 Kharif (summer)
season due to drought and floods in several states.
According to the US Department of Agriculture (USDA),
India, the second largest rice producer in the world, may
import as much as 2,00,000 tonnes of rice if there is greater
price parity to meet domestic demand.
Commerce and Industry Minister Anand Sharma, who is a
member of the EGoM, said yesterday that the government was in
talks with top rice-exporting countries like Thailand for
buying the staple grain without involving the private traders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'