After Asian C`ship gold, Sushil`s next target CWG, Asiad
New Delhi: High on confidence after
pocketing his first-ever Asian Championship gold, ace Indian
wrestler Sushil Kumar has set his eyes on this year`s two most
important sporting events -- the Commonwealth Games and Asiad.
Sushil (66 kg freestyle) outsmarted Korean Dae Sung Kim,
a bronze medallist in the championship last year, in two
rounds (4-0, 2-0) to win his first Asian Championship title
here on Thursday.
Happy with his form, the Beijing Olympic bronze medallist
said the win here has motivated him to go for the yellow metal
again in the Delhi Commonwealth Games and Guangzhou Asian
Games later this year.
"I am really very happy to have won the Asian
Championship title. This is the first time I became champion,
this is the first time I won a gold in the tournament," Sushil
told PTI today.
"The competition was really very tough because it is
considered the second biggest wrestling tournament after world
championships. So, this gold is a great confidence booster
ahead of the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games.”
"It has motivated me to better my performance in the
Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. The gold proves that we
(Indians) are no less than anyone in the world," the Beijing
Olympics bronze medallist said.
Delighted with his form, Sushil said the gold is a
deserved result of the hard work he and his coaches have put
in after he was pulled out of last year`s Asian Championships
in Pattaya (Thailand) by the Union Sports Ministry for weight
"Everyone`s hard work paid off. This win makes up for
last year, when I was pulled out of the championship after
being found just 300-400 grams overweight.”
"Last time also I was preparing hard, but couldn`t
participate. I was really hurt so this year I was determined
to do better and I am happy that I lived upto my
expectations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview