After Asian C`ship gold, Sushil`s next target CWG, Asiad
New Delhi: High on confidence after
pocketing his first-ever Asian Championship gold, ace Indian
wrestler Sushil Kumar has set his eyes on this year`s two most
important sporting events -- the Commonwealth Games and Asiad.
Sushil (66 kg freestyle) outsmarted Korean Dae Sung Kim,
a bronze medallist in the championship last year, in two
rounds (4-0, 2-0) to win his first Asian Championship title
here on Thursday.
Happy with his form, the Beijing Olympic bronze medallist
said the win here has motivated him to go for the yellow metal
again in the Delhi Commonwealth Games and Guangzhou Asian
Games later this year.
"I am really very happy to have won the Asian
Championship title. This is the first time I became champion,
this is the first time I won a gold in the tournament," Sushil
told PTI today.
"The competition was really very tough because it is
considered the second biggest wrestling tournament after world
championships. So, this gold is a great confidence booster
ahead of the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games.”
"It has motivated me to better my performance in the
Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. The gold proves that we
(Indians) are no less than anyone in the world," the Beijing
Olympics bronze medallist said.
Delighted with his form, Sushil said the gold is a
deserved result of the hard work he and his coaches have put
in after he was pulled out of last year`s Asian Championships
in Pattaya (Thailand) by the Union Sports Ministry for weight
"Everyone`s hard work paid off. This win makes up for
last year, when I was pulled out of the championship after
being found just 300-400 grams overweight.”
"Last time also I was preparing hard, but couldn`t
participate. I was really hurt so this year I was determined
to do better and I am happy that I lived upto my
expectations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India