After Asian C`ship gold, Sushil`s next target CWG, Asiad
New Delhi: High on confidence after
pocketing his first-ever Asian Championship gold, ace Indian
wrestler Sushil Kumar has set his eyes on this year`s two most
important sporting events -- the Commonwealth Games and Asiad.
Sushil (66 kg freestyle) outsmarted Korean Dae Sung Kim,
a bronze medallist in the championship last year, in two
rounds (4-0, 2-0) to win his first Asian Championship title
here on Thursday.
Happy with his form, the Beijing Olympic bronze medallist
said the win here has motivated him to go for the yellow metal
again in the Delhi Commonwealth Games and Guangzhou Asian
Games later this year.
"I am really very happy to have won the Asian
Championship title. This is the first time I became champion,
this is the first time I won a gold in the tournament," Sushil
told PTI today.
"The competition was really very tough because it is
considered the second biggest wrestling tournament after world
championships. So, this gold is a great confidence booster
ahead of the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games.”
"It has motivated me to better my performance in the
Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. The gold proves that we
(Indians) are no less than anyone in the world," the Beijing
Olympics bronze medallist said.
Delighted with his form, Sushil said the gold is a
deserved result of the hard work he and his coaches have put
in after he was pulled out of last year`s Asian Championships
in Pattaya (Thailand) by the Union Sports Ministry for weight
"Everyone`s hard work paid off. This win makes up for
last year, when I was pulled out of the championship after
being found just 300-400 grams overweight.”
"Last time also I was preparing hard, but couldn`t
participate. I was really hurt so this year I was determined
to do better and I am happy that I lived upto my
expectations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why