After Asian C`ship gold, Sushil`s next target CWG, Asiad
New Delhi: High on confidence after
pocketing his first-ever Asian Championship gold, ace Indian
wrestler Sushil Kumar has set his eyes on this year`s two most
important sporting events -- the Commonwealth Games and Asiad.
Sushil (66 kg freestyle) outsmarted Korean Dae Sung Kim,
a bronze medallist in the championship last year, in two
rounds (4-0, 2-0) to win his first Asian Championship title
here on Thursday.
Happy with his form, the Beijing Olympic bronze medallist
said the win here has motivated him to go for the yellow metal
again in the Delhi Commonwealth Games and Guangzhou Asian
Games later this year.
"I am really very happy to have won the Asian
Championship title. This is the first time I became champion,
this is the first time I won a gold in the tournament," Sushil
told PTI today.
"The competition was really very tough because it is
considered the second biggest wrestling tournament after world
championships. So, this gold is a great confidence booster
ahead of the Commonwealth Games and Asian Games.”
"It has motivated me to better my performance in the
Commonwealth Games and Asian Games. The gold proves that we
(Indians) are no less than anyone in the world," the Beijing
Olympics bronze medallist said.
Delighted with his form, Sushil said the gold is a
deserved result of the hard work he and his coaches have put
in after he was pulled out of last year`s Asian Championships
in Pattaya (Thailand) by the Union Sports Ministry for weight
"Everyone`s hard work paid off. This win makes up for
last year, when I was pulled out of the championship after
being found just 300-400 grams overweight.”
"Last time also I was preparing hard, but couldn`t
participate. I was really hurt so this year I was determined
to do better and I am happy that I lived upto my
expectations," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi