After World title, Sushil eyes CWG gold
New Delhi: After breaking an almost six-decade jinx with his gold medal winning feat at the World Championship, wrestler Sushil Kumar has set his eyes on next month`s Commonwealth Games, where he believes India can get to see about 15 champions.
Sushil yesterday defeated local favourite Gogaev Alan 3-1 in the final to clinch the title in Moscow, an achievement for which India had to wait for 59 years.
The World Champion now wants to win a gold at next month`s Commonwealth Games.
"Winning gold medal at World Championships is a huge achievement for me after Beijing Olympic Games and before the Commonwealth Games. My next target is to win a gold medal in the Delhi Games," the Haryana grappler said.
"I feel really fortunate to become the first ever Indian wrestler to win a gold at the World Championship. I have been able to achieve this because of the entire country`s support and blessings."
The Olympics bronze medallist predicted India will dominate the October sporting extravaganza.
"I firmly believe that Indians can win all the 21 medals in as many categories. I also feel that we can win at least 13-14 gold medals because we have got good practise," he said.
Talking about his achievement, he said, "It was tough because gold, silver and bronze medallists of 2008 Beijing Olympics were there in the fray. But my toughest bout was in semifinal against Azerbaijan opponent as he has recently become European Champion beating Olympic gold and silver medallists."
"I had to face the home favourite from Russia in the final and that was also tough," he added.
After getting a bye in the first round, he had beaten Akritidis of Greece, Martin Sebastian of Germany and Buyan Jav of Mongolia en route to the summit clash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day