After World title, Sushil eyes CWG gold
New Delhi: After breaking an almost six-decade jinx with his gold medal winning feat at the World Championship, wrestler Sushil Kumar has set his eyes on next month`s Commonwealth Games, where he believes India can get to see about 15 champions.
Sushil yesterday defeated local favourite Gogaev Alan 3-1 in the final to clinch the title in Moscow, an achievement for which India had to wait for 59 years.
The World Champion now wants to win a gold at next month`s Commonwealth Games.
"Winning gold medal at World Championships is a huge achievement for me after Beijing Olympic Games and before the Commonwealth Games. My next target is to win a gold medal in the Delhi Games," the Haryana grappler said.
"I feel really fortunate to become the first ever Indian wrestler to win a gold at the World Championship. I have been able to achieve this because of the entire country`s support and blessings."
The Olympics bronze medallist predicted India will dominate the October sporting extravaganza.
"I firmly believe that Indians can win all the 21 medals in as many categories. I also feel that we can win at least 13-14 gold medals because we have got good practise," he said.
Talking about his achievement, he said, "It was tough because gold, silver and bronze medallists of 2008 Beijing Olympics were there in the fray. But my toughest bout was in semifinal against Azerbaijan opponent as he has recently become European Champion beating Olympic gold and silver medallists."
"I had to face the home favourite from Russia in the final and that was also tough," he added.
After getting a bye in the first round, he had beaten Akritidis of Greece, Martin Sebastian of Germany and Buyan Jav of Mongolia en route to the summit clash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'