Agassi reveals his father gave him drugs before matches
London: Eight time Grand Slam winner and one of the finest tennis players, Andre Agassi’s revelation that his father Mike Agassi asked him to take the drug speed before a tournament and that he took it, has angered the World Anti-Doping Agency.
Agassi may face Wada ‘perjury wrath’ over claims of taking speed. The WADA asked tennis bodies to investigate the possibility of a perjury case against the tennis player
The tennis golden boy said that his father used to give him drugs to take before matches, including pills that were high in caffeine, and possibly even the illegal amphetamine speed, The Telegraph reports.
The suggestion that Agassi may have taken the drug, which has not been made public in this country until now, will further damage his image after his disclosure last week that he took crystal Methamphetamine, possession of which carries a maximum five-year jail sentence in the US.
The American tennis legend revealed his use of the substance in his new autobiography “Open” and that he received a call from a doctor working for the ATP in the autumn of 1997 to inform him that he had failed a drug test.
David Howman, the director general of Wada, said he would be writing to the tennis authorities to ask them to investigate “the possibility of perjury” or “a breach of the law” following Agassi’s admission that he explained his positive test result for crystal meth in 1997, the paper reports.
Though WADA has an eight-year statute of limitations, and it is highly unlikely that they could punish the former Wimbledon champion, Howman indicated that he did not consider this to be a dead issue, and hoped that the ATP and the International Tennis Federation would act responsibly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested