Agri Min advising farmers on sowing to counter poor monsoon
New Delhi: The Agriculture Ministry has
prepared a comprehensive contingency plan in view of the poor
monsoon, whereby farmers in each district of affected states
are advised which crops to sow and when.
As the country`s north-western region has been worst-hit
with poor rains, the National Rainfed Authority (NRRA) under
the Ministry of Agriculture has asked farmers to sow basmati
paddy crop in Central Punjab and short-duration paddy variety
along with green and blackgram, pigeonpea in eastern Uttar
Pradesh, respectively, between July 15 and 31.
Moreover, high-breed bajra and sorghum can be planted in
the Bundelkhand region of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh
during this period.
Short-duration bajra, moong and guar can be sown in
Haryana, Chandigarh and Delhi and urad, sunflower, maize and
pigeonpea in some of the paddy-growing areas of Bihar.
Similarly, moong, bajra, guar and maize can be planted in
some districts of Punjab, Himachal and Uttar Pradesh in the
first fortnight of August, while short-duration varieties of
sorghum, bajra and moong can be sown in the Bundelkhand region
of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
"The plan has been framed keeping in mind the delayed
monsoon which will have adverse impact on water availability
in the rain-fed areas in the country.
"States have been advised to follow the plan to avert a
food crisis," NRRA Technical expert (forest) VK Bahuguna said.
The Authority has also asked the states to adopt
contingency measures for livestock and horticulture, among
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door