Ahead of 2nd innings, Chavan remembers father
Mumbai: Ashok Chavan, who is all set to take over as Chief Minister of Maharashtra for the second consecutive term, today remembered his father S B Chavan and said he had taught him the nuances of administration.
"I remember him. It is because of his guidance that I learnt various aspects of administration," Chavan said, after being picked by Congress President Sonia Gandhi to lead Congress-NCP government in the state for another term.
He said that it was a sense of great pride that he could rise to the expectations of the people of the state.
"People of Maharashtra have put their stamp of approval on the good work done by our government and the policy decisions taken by us. Our victory is due to this," Chavan said.
On the race for Chief Ministerial post, Chavan said that there was nothing wrong in "harbouring these ambitions."
"However, I don`t think anyone opposed me individually. But the issue (of tussle for CM`s post) is now finished...it is behind us," Chavan added.
Asked about issues like acute power shortage and the agrarian crisis in the state, Chavan said, "We will have to pay attention to the shortcomings and strengthen Maharashtra as a developed and progressive state."
Amid reports that he was in the race for the post of Maharashtra Chief Minister, Union Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh had met the Congress President two days ago and maintained he not was in contention for the top job.
"No question of it. I am a minister at the Centre," Deshmukh had said when asked to comment on the reports that he was also staking his claim for Maharashtra Chief Minister`s post.
Meanwhile, celebrations erupted in Chavan`s home town Nanded, with supporters taking out rallies and bursting firecrackers after his name was formally announced by senior Congress leader A K Antony in Delhi late last night.
"Chavan won from Bhokar by a margin of over a lakh votes. He deserved to be given a second chance as the tenure he got in the first term was just over 10 months," a supporter said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi