Ahmed to lead Pakistan football team against India
Lahore: The Pakistan Football Federation has
named Adnan Farooq Ahmed the captain of the national team for
the two-match series against India, which will be played in
the United Kingdom in September.
The PFF confirmed the two matches would be played at
Derby on September 3 and in Glasgow on the 11th.
The Pakistan squad, whose preparations have been badly
hit due to heavy rains and loadshedding here, will leave for
London on Saturday.
Adnan, in his statement, said that he felt honoured to be
captaining Pakistan after nine years as a professional
"My first colour was back in 2006 and since then I can
say I have been fully committed to represent Pakistan and
have always put country over club. I have seen a big effort to
improve football in Pakistan and there are positive signs
showing in the younger players. I believe a collective effort
from locals and international Pakistanis can help football
rise quickly in the country," he said.
Head coach Tariq Lutfi admitted that it would be a tough
series for his young team as their preparations were not held
according to schedule because of rains, loadshedding and
"But we will try to give it our best shot because this is
a series that can lift the profile of football in Pakistan and
I am sure it will be watched by thousands of people as it is
being televised live," Lutfi said.
He said any match against India in any sport was always
bound to be exciting and close.
The PFF and the All India Football Federation have
announced that the September 3 match will be dedicated to the
memory of the three Pakistani youth who were killed in the
recent riots in Birmingham.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured